Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Friday, November 12, 2010

The Social {lite}'s 1st quilt!

Okay I'm just gonna say it...there are far too many of you out there that have really great quilts that are your first quilts ever!  What?  Not fair.  Today we're featuring Cindy from The Social {lite}'s very first quilt.  AND she hand quilted it.  I haven't even attempted this.  When I told Heather the other day that I want to hand quilt one she let me know in no uncertain terms that she was not interested in that...at all!  Anyway, check out Cindy's blog for a fun read on what she calls "learn(ing) the ropes of local society life with food stains on my shirt and a "Mom's Taxi" sign on my car."

i've finished my first ever, have never done one of these before, holy crap i can't believe i finished it quilt.

for those of you into this sort of thing, i didn't use any particular pattern for the quilt top (though i did use oh fransson's paintbox quilt as inspiration for the design). all of the fabrics were scraps i had laying around, except for the back and the binding (and i have no idea who the fabrics were made by, sorry!).


i followed the circle patterns on the backing fabric as my quilt pattern (just made sense, ya know?) and since i was hand quilting the entire thing, it took freakin' forever.

six months, give or take.
 

but totally worth it, don't ya think?


and i chose to use this rainbow palette because it's gender neutral (for babies, anyway) so that my daughter  can pass it down to her children someday.


i just love it. and truth be told, i'm so damn glad it's done.

next up? i'm trying my hand at hand tying quilts. i'm using my husband's grandmother(who passed away last september)'s old clothes and housecoats to make memory quilts for all of her great-grandchildren.
 
Thanks again Cindy...really I'm so impressed!  Also we wanted to mention for those of you who haven't heard of it, Katie from Swim, Bike, Quilt and Aunt Spicy have teamed up with a really great holiday idea.  The goal is to donate 100 quilts for Christmas.  Check out their blogs for details and look through all your unfinished projects or homeless quilts and consider donating them!

 
Photobucket

5 comments:

Katie @SwimBikeQuilt said...

I'll have to dig out my first quilt sometime, circa 2000. It does NOT look like this. And thanks for the 100 Quilts for Christmas mention!

Sparky said...

I adore it...first quilt...I know what that is like...lol...everyone has to have a first..and yours my dear is over the top scrumptious..congrats..there will more be no mistaking....

Leslie said...

wow, i can not believe that this is her first quilt. it looks amazing.

Becky (My Fabric Obsession) said...

That is a gorgeous first quilt! Congrats to her on hand stitching it too! Yeah, my 1st quilt is not so cool.

Heather said...

It is beautiful, the hand quilting is amazing. Good work!