Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Monday, November 19, 2012

Fly a kite quilt from Gold Show Girl...



How darling is this quilt? And the kite pillow is just killing me! Gold Shoe Girl is a fun blog of Alissa. A quilting/crafting/decorating kind of girl (my kind of girl!). Here are some of her sewn projects, some great wall art ideas, be sure to visit her blog for more fun....

Well, the name for this quilt was kinda obvious to me.  I made it using October Afternoon for Riley Blake's Fly a Kite line.  I have to say that I think this is my favorite quilt finish so far.  It is my own design and I really like how the borders turned out especially since I had not done any until now.


I fussy cut the main fabric with the kids so that the pieces would highlight them flying kites and swinging.  I also fussy cut the border pieces to try to get the kite and the dog too.


The binding is machine stitched using one of the coordinating fabrics that I also used in the patchwork.  The quilting is very simple and sparse straight line around the seams.  Again I used the Kona white for the backing.  I really like how soft it is and how the white allows the fabrics to really stand out and keeps everything from getting too busy.  It is 45 x 60" which is just perfect for a toddler or crib quilt.  Now if I just had a toddler...


I always seem to make a little pillow too.  I hate to waste any scraps or extra pieces and it's just so easy to make a matching pillow to go with the quilt.  Plus I can usually get the pillows done in an afternoon so it is a nice instant gratification project.  


The kite in the pillow was made by sewing 1 inch strips together lengthwise and then I cut a kite shape out of the white and sewed the stripped piece in behind it.  I didn't turn the white under - I just stitched around the edge.  I am actually hoping for a little fraying to add some texture to it.  Then I embroidered the string for the tails and the wording in coordinating floss I already had on hand.  


The tails are pieces of scrap cut with pointed ends, topstitched around the edges and then tied into a little knot.  Then I just sewed them onto the embroidered tail string.


Honestly, I am going to have to start finding recipients for these little projects or open an etsy or something because I am running out of space to keep all these quilts.  I have another quilt done that I haven't even shown you yet and I am in the middle of another something special for fall.  Plus I went crazy at fatquarter.com the other day so there's likely to be a storm of sewing soon.

Photobucket

9 comments:

Lynne said...

Cute quilt and pillow.

Angela Bullard said...

Your quilt looks great and I absolutely love the pillow!

beaquilter said...

loveee the pillow!

Deb@asimplelifequilts said...

Adorable projects! I love the look of yellow on white.

Kirsten said...

Beautiful quilt - such cute fabrics! And I love the matching pillow too.

Gale, Ky quilter said...

These are so cute! I love it!

CathyK said...

I LOVE THAT PILLOW!!!!!

Tatkis said...

Such a lovely, sunny quilt! And the pillow is charming!

Hugs,
Tatyana

ดูหนังออนไลน์ฟรี said...

ดูหนังออนไลน์ On a rainy day, I choose to read your blog. Is it fun?